Ian Cardoso Age, Wife, Kids, Family, Biography & More » StarsUnfolded
Wife: Priscilla Cardoso
Hometown: New Delhi, India
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ian Cardoso
- Ian Cardozo is a retired Major General of the Indian Army and recipient of the Ati Vishisht Seva and Sena Medals. He is known as the first war-disabled officer of the Indian Army to command a battalion and a brigade.
- When Ian Cardozo was in school, his father encouraged him to play sports and read stories about the war. His father wanted him to join the Indian Army, and after completing his studies, Ian attended the National Defence Academy (NDA). He was the first NDA cadet to receive silver and gold medals at the Academy. After completing his course at NDA, he went to Indian Military Academy (IMA).
- At the age of 20, he was drafted into the army, in the battalion of 1/5GR (5 Gurkha rifles), and at the age of 22, he was sent with the battalion to Arunachal Pradesh near the Chinese border. In 1962, at the age of 25, he fought with the Chinese army.
- After the war, he married Priscilla at the age of 29. From their marriage, they have three sons.
- At 34, his battalion moved from Jammu and Kashmir to Nagaland as tensions between Pakistan and Bangladesh began. His battalion had no artillery support, so they decided to enter Bangladesh and attacked the soldiers with kukris, killing about 32 soldiers of the Pakistani company. About 384 Gurkhas fought against two Pakistani armies of 8,000 men.
- During the war, journalists published a misleading message that about 3,000 Indian troops had landed on the border. In response, some Pakistani officers surrendered to the Indian army. In this regard, the battalion commander stated that the surrender cannot be accepted and the fighting must continue.
- Around this time, Cardoso accidentally stepped on a landmine, seriously injuring his leg. The medical base was destroyed in the shooting and Ian asked his mates to amputate his leg, but everyone refused to do so. The situation was so critical that Ian picked up his kukri and severed his leg. His forces then managed to capture a Pakistani Army surgeon, Major Mohammad Basher, who was then asked to operate on Cardoso’s wounds to avoid any further consequences.
- After the amputation, Cardoso was asked to leave the field and get an office job he declined, saying he could do better on the field and that he wanted to train a battalion. The case was referred to the then Army Chief of Staff, General Tapishwar Naran Reina. He brought Ian Cardoso to Ladakh, and after observing his physical fitness and ability to work, General Rainer allowed Ian to command a battalion. When he was asked to command a brigade, he went through the same process again.
- In 2005, Ian Cardozo was appointed Chairman of the Indian Rehabilitation Council, a position he held until 2011.
- At the age of 56, Ian Cardozo retired from the army to serve as chief of staff of a regiment in Assam, and in his early 60s he became a writer, publishing his first book, 1971 Years: Indo-Pakistani Stories of Courage and Glory” War. ‘
- In addition to being a retired major general and author, Ian is a marathon runner who ran the 2019 Mumbai Marathon with 16 other war-disabled soldiers.
- Ian Cardoso is known for his bravery and positivity. He follows the motto he shares with others in interviews, which is-
Do what you love, love what you do, never be afraid, never give up. “
- Despite all his years in the Indian Army, Ian Cardozo took seven years to convince his predecessors that he was as efficient as a soldier with two legs. The Indian army has since relaxed its rules to allow soldiers affected by combat casualties to be promoted.
- In an interview, Ian Cardoso talked about how they threw a grenade against a wall during a practice session before the raid on a Pakistani outpost when it hit the wall and bounced back. He immediately caught the grenade, threw it back to avoid casualties, and the grenade exploded in the air.
- On October 15, 2021, filmmakers Aanand L Rai and Akshay Kumar announced a collaboration to produce their third film, Gorkha. The pair are teaming up to produce the biopic based on the life of Major General Ian Cardoso, honoring his service and sacrifice in helping the nation win the war. In this regard, Ian Cardozo (Ian Cardozo) said-
I am honored to tell this story on the 50th anniversary of the 1971 war. It commemorates the courage and sacrifice of the Indian Armed Forces. I look forward to working with Anand and Akshay as they bring this to life. This story reflects the values and ethos of every officer in the Indian Army. “
Find more articles in our categories Celebrity & News ou encore Wiki.
Thanks for visiting we hope our article Ian Cardoso Age, Wife, Kids, Family, Biography & More » StarsUnfolded
, think about share the article on Facebook, twitter and e-mail with the hashtag ☑️ #Ian #Cardoso #Age #Wife #Kids #Family #Biography ☑️!