Paneer is the next best food alternative after the chicken. People who do not consume non-vegetarian food items consume this dish in copious amounts. In addition, it can be prepared using a myriad of spices to create newer dishes.
Palak paneer is one of the healthier concoctions among numerous dishes. And yet, it is full of flavour and delicious. The palak paneer recipe is easy to follow and requires merely a few ingredients. It does not involve challenging instructions, and people can mimic it without any hassle.
The dish comes in a curry form and is prepared using fresh spinach, onions, cream and spices. The name itself is a giveaway “palak paneer”. Palak means spinach, and paneer means Indian cottage cheese. In a palak paneer recipe, they blend the spinach to make it more pleasing and easier to eat.
That also mixes the flavours better. Regardless of age, palak paneer is a commonly sought-after dish in Indian homes. From toddlers to kids and elders, it is a classic favourite among everyone.
STEPWISE PALAK PANEER RECIPE
While many people out there have their reservations about using spinach, do not worry. It adds a favourable palette to the dish.
1) 1 1/4 cup of paneer (cottage cheese) 150 gms
2) 3.5 cups of spinach. 100-120 gms
3) 2 tablespoons oil or one tablespoon butter
4) 2 green chillies
5) 3/4 cups finely chopped onions. 90 gms
6) 1/2 cup tomatoes. Deseed them and create a puree.
7) 1 teaspoon ginger and garlic paste, both finely chopped.
8) 3/4 teaspoon salt
9) 8-10 cashew nuts blanched (or use almonds)
10) 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon garam masala
11) 1/2 teaspoon Kasturi methi
12) 3 tablespoons cream
13) 1/8 teaspoon cumin seeds
14) 2 green cardamoms
15) 1 inch cinnamon (optional)
16) 2 cloves (optional)
1) Get the vegetables in order by plucking away the tender spinach leaves and throwing away the rest. Add them to a big bowl, rinse and drain.
2) Heat oil in a pan and saute the green chilies, cashews, and spinach for 3-4 minutes. Let this cool down and blend it with 1/4 cup water allowing the puree to be smooth and thick.
3) Next, heat oil or butter in the same pan and add cinnamon, cardamom cloves, and cumin seeds. If you do not wish to add the cinnamon and cloves, skip it.
4) Let the spices sizzle and then add onions and fry them until they are golden brown.
5) Add the tomato with salt and turn it mushy.
6) Add in the water along with the covered onions until they are completely soft. You should still see some water left in the pan.
7) Follow the steps carefully because the Kasturi methi can leave a bitter taste. Add it in along with the spinach puree and let it bubble for around 2-3 minutes. It should be adequately cooked. If the gravy seems too thick, add in more water. Be mindful of steering clear of overcooking as well. Overcooking will diminish the nutritional value and undermine the purpose of consuming a healthy dish.
8) Lastly, add in the paneer and give it a good mix. Turn the flame off and garnish it with cream.
9) Serve it with chapati or rice.
This is an easy-to-follow recipe for making palak paneer.